Medes Nust

So, I got these Assyrians then realised I didn't really have any opponents for them. Realising that I could get double duty out of Medes as Early Persians (sort of) and that they fought the Assyrians the course was obvious. Buy a load of Early Persians.

Actually I really only needed the foot, as I have a pile of cavalry that'll pass muster, more or less.

The only early period plastic Persians that fit with my existing figures are those from Zvezda (I already have the cavalry and chariots).

The Zvezda figures seem to be out of production, but I picked up half a dozen boxes of the Italeri run, so job's a good 'un.

I've still got a few (er, I mean LOADS)  of my Assyrians to finish so they can double as Babylonians but I only need a couple of units to make up a basic AMW Median army. So that's what I've just finished.


I've done one unit of spears men and one of archers, each with a rank kneeling and standing. I can then mix and match to get combined units as well.


The figures are nicely sculpted, but the plastic doesn't take super glue as well as the Hat equivalent. They're also not as wargamer friendly. It is tough getting the standing spears men four to a standard 60mm base. Hopefully the other poses will be a bit better. The kneelers were okay.


I like the mix of kneeling spears and bows, as in this picture.


The archers look the business.


As you can see when you put the standing spears men in the front rank they look a little...higgledy-piggledy. Lesson there for the next batch.

Plus, easier to paint both figure and shield before you glue them together.

Comments

  1. Nice Persians, the photos are a little grainy though, but I like what you did with them. I will definately use my persians, once I get the boatloads of them painted, against my assyrians too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pictures are shot using a digital macro on my compact camera, - hence the graininess, even tho' it is a 10mp camera. I should really use my SLR with the extension rings but I'm a bit lazy sometimes.

      Delete
  2. Can you slow down your output - you are making the rest of us look bad. I have nominated you for a Liebster Award: http://megablitzandmore.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/liebster-award-2014.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's simple Tim. Just be out of work. Loads gets painted. You're the third person to nominate me for this award, so thank you. I really must get round to the obligatory post before all the blogs I read get nominated ahead of me doing so.

      Delete
  3. Excellent work, these troops are really impressive with their shields!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The shields are good top paint. The definition on them is good without being too deeply etched. They're done in a light brown, almost khaki, colour, overwashed with GW's "Flesh Wash" ink. Then the detail is picked out on the top before the final coat of Ronseal antique pine varnish.

      Delete

Post a Comment