A Day Out of the Office

I had a day out yesterday, - courtesy of a friend at a supplier. It was a historic event (although not as historical an event as had previously been suggested).

Yes, I was lucky enough to be invited to the Pakistan v Australia test match at Lords. The first time since 1912* that two national flags, neither of them England's, have flown over the Lord's Pavilion for a test match.


As you can see from the picture the weather wasn't very promising. As I travelled in from "up country" I had to leave before any announcements of the day's play. However, there was no rain on the way down, and the scoreboard at the ground proudly announced:


I have to say that this did make me feel quite proud. The game has been organised by the ECB for Pakistan as a home test for them as no one can tour Pakistan at the moment. The ECB is making no money from the game, so this is putting much needed funds into one of the great cricketing nations of the world. It's a way of showing people who want to disrupt normal life that there are still people out there willing to give a hand in exchange for....nothing. I don't know how many other sporting governing bodies would be that altruistic.

Anyway, I knew I was at a test match in England as the score board soon changed to:


Fortunately although our tickets were in the stands we had some catering supplied in the Mound Stand hospitality suite, where they serve a very nice bacon sandwich. Play started at 12:00 and despite coming off for bad light occasionally we saw a fair amount of cricket of varying quality. This included an Australian batting collapse, so the day wasn't wasted.

The game finally finished at about 6:20, with the Aussies looking a bit precarious:


Clearly this is all complete gibberish to some of you out there, but I enjoyed myself.




* The 1912 game was between Australia and South Africa and was part of a triangular Test tournament with England as well. It was not regarded as a success. The Australians did fairly well despite fielding a weakened side due to six of their players refusing to tour following a fist fight with the selectors. Yes, you did read that correctly. Ah, oh for that bygone, genteel age before the Great War....

Comments

  1. You lucky b*st*ard! (as the Aussies would say)

    It sounds like you had a great day out!

    All I could do was listen to it on Radio 4 (on 198) in between meetings and travelling to meetings. etc.

    All the best,

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I did say I was lucky on this occasion, but I'd like to pretend it was because I have assiduously cultivated the right contacts and also because I'm jolly good company.

    Alas now I'm back at work I can only follow it through sneaky peaks at Cricinfo every now and then.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment